Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Becoming a Technocontructivist

On Walter McKenzie’s technology scale I would have to say I am stuck in between a Technotradionalist and a Technoconstructivist. I definitely use technology to accomplish traditional classroom tasks. I am trying to use technology to completely change approaches to teaching and learning in the classroom. I am not quite a Technoconstructivist because I do not feel I have the proper training and availability of a lot of technology.
There are many technological ideas I try to use in my classroom. The easiest to use and implement is email. When I first starting teaching I did not give my students email. I felt it was too personal and I did not want my students to contact me via email. This slowly began to change as the years went on. One of the first reasons for my change in heart was when we had a snow day on the review day before exams. My classes where going to receive their formal study guide for their exam. Due to the snow day the students never received their sheets. If I had given the students my email they could have contacted me prior to the exam. Students always seem to have these excuses: my printer broke, my printer jammed and I ran out of ink. This elevates any excuses they may arise. I tell students if there is a problem with their printer they need to email their paper to me.
All my grades are done with an electronic grade book. It is so much easier to use than the record books. When I originally made the transition to the computer, I still needed to keep a hard copy just in case. I am slowly transiting away from both. Using an electronic grade book makes computing the grades much easier. This is a great example of how technology makes tasks so much easier.
I am in the process of using online blogs in all my classes. I am going to require my students to blog on class discussions at least once a week. The blogs have all been created but have not been implemented yet. I hope to within the next two weeks. The problem is me finding the time to post a topic to discuss and time to make sure all students are blogging.
I use other tools in class from time to time. These include: PowerPoint, digital slide shows, web quests and the use of the mobile lab for research and processing. These are not used on a weekly basis but whenever possible I to incorporate them. I find sometimes it is just really hard to use them often.
My plan on moving along the spectrum is to continue my training in technology. Obviously by taking this class it is a huge step. My husband is an IT guy who could help me work towards my goal. I will ask him to teach me the technology instead of just doing it for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Lindsay - why not ask your students ... you could set out some general parameters for them - and within those guidelines - just ask how they would like to use technology in the classroom.

    You'll be amazed with what your students will come up with - they see and use the technology so much more that we do, they can see the natural tie-ins that we often miss.

    ReplyDelete